Visit the beautiful Village of Kuranda, which is nestled amongst pristine World Heritage Listed Rainforest. The Kuranda Scenic Railway is a must-do experience and it’s one of the most unique rail journeys in Australia. The journey from Cairns to Kuranda offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains, passes spectacular waterfalls and enters the Barron Gorge. The journey includes an English commentary companion, which includes the history of the railway’s construction and map.
Return journey can either be by bus or by skyrail rainforest cableway, a world first in environmental tourism will glide you just meters above the rainforest canopy in comfortable 6 person gondola cabins.
What to see and do in Kuranda:
- Come up close with crocodiles and get your photo taken holding a Koala bear at the Koala Gardens.
- Walk among more than 1500 colourful, free flying butterflies at the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary.
- Admire rare species of birds as you stroll through the gardens of Birdworld.
- Meander the shops and stalls of the Heritage Markets as you browse Australian handicrafts and authentic souvenirs.
Whether you travel by bus, the historic railway or Skyrail, make sure you stay a while to take in everything that Kuranda has to offer!
Train Up – Skyrail Return
- Departing Freshwater Station at 9.50am, enjoy the 1.5 hour journey on the Kuranda Scenic Railway, a historic railroad that travels through the breathtaking World Heritage Listed Rainforest.
- Stop at Barron Falls Station for more spectacular vistas before arriving in the Village of Kuranda.
- Enjoy 3 hours free time in Kuranda before returning via Skyrail.
- Gliding just metres above the rainforest canopy in comfortable six-person gondolas, the Skyrail journey immerses you in an intimate rainforest experience.
Train Up – Bus Return
- Depart Freshwater Station at 9.50am. Enjoy a 1.5 hour journey on the Kuranda Scenic Railway, the historic railroad that travels through the breathtaking World Heritage Listed Rainforest.
- Stop at Barron Falls Station for spectacular views and a photo opportunity before arriving in the Village of Kuranda.
- Enjoy 3.5 hurs of free time to explore Kuranda’s shops and many attractions.
- Return to Cairns by scenic bus route, traveling along the Kuranda Range.
Click on images to enlarge